Summer in Winnipeg. It’s finally here. Hopefully, it is a long one.. And now’s the time to do some much-needed home maintenance that has been put off for long enough and time to get the renovations done.
Use the checklist below to get your home summer-ready:
- Dust and test all smoke detectors,
- Check fire extinguishers (at least once a month),
- Check and reset the ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI),
MECHANICS & SYSTEMS
- Clean or replace the furnace filter and heat recovery ventilator (HRV),
- Check septic system and clean if necessary,
- Check the water heater for leaks (if the unit is older than 5 years schedule an inspection),
- That sump pump was probably working overtime this spring, time to clean it and make sure it’s ready for next year.
KITCHEN & BATHROOM
- Inspect bathroom and kitchen caulking. Re-caulk as needed.
- Test and clean kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans,
- Clean kitchen exhaust hood and filter,
- Pull out the refrigerator and vacuum the coils,
- Does it need an update? Are you ready for a makeover renovation?
- Change the direction of ceiling fans,
- Inspect exterior for any penetrations into building envelope and fill with caulking for expandable spray foam,
- Check the foundation for drainage problems and water pooling,
- Monitor exterior and surrounding property for grading issues,
- Inspect any outdoor structures for damage and repairs, like sheds and garages,
- Check the sealing around windows and doors,
- Inspect driveways and walks for cracks, heaving and unevenness,
- Inspect doors and locks,
- Fertilize lawn,
- Inspect for insect activity (termites, ants, wood bees, discarded wings, etc.),
- Schedule end-of-season pool inspection for upgrades/repairs.
ROOF & ATTIC
- Check the roof for loose, missing and/or curling shingles,
- Monitor the attic for moisture and ventilation.
BASEMENT & CRAWLSPACE
- Monitor basement for humidity and musty smells,
- Check crawlspaces for moisture issues,
- Thinking about a basement renovation? Consider the value it can add to your home.
Most people remember spring and fall maintenance of their home but in truth, homes need care all year round. Maintenance times are a good time to make plans for renovations, let us help. Call ACR today and we will help you with your home upgrades.