25 DIY Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Home Maintenance
When it comes to homeownership, new homeowners quickly find out that there is much to do, basically all the time. From cleaning to organising and storing unused items to standard maintenance, there are always things you can do to make your home better. Below are a few DIY hacks to help with home maintenance.
- All-purpose cleaner. One way to cut down on cleaning time and stay on budget is to have an all-purpose cleaner.
- Freshen Garbage disposal. Freeze white vinegar in ice cups and lay them in the garbage disposal once frozen to clean and freshen drains.
- Be sure to change out air filters regularly. Keep a microfiber cloth on hand to wipe down the return to avoid unwanted dust.
- Clean out the dryer lint screen after every load, washing the screen from time to time and allowing it to dry before reusing.
- Wash and Dry. Have everyone wipe the shower down after showering so that the tub/shower stays clean and avoid having to scrub the tub on a regular basis.
- Avoid clogging your drains by using a drain cleaner on a regular basis.
- Clorox Wipes. Use them for any and everything, from wiping counters to fixtures.
- Ceiling fans. Use dryer sheets to remove unwanted dust from ceiling fan blades.
- Kitchen cabinets. Take time to check the hinges and handles of kitchen cabinets.
- Add liners to the fridge to help with keeping it clean.
- Test smoke alarms on a regular basis.
- Once a year, be sure to steam or deep clean all flooring, from carpeting to tile.
- At least once a year, clean out the closets of your home and remove any unused items or clothing.
- Put that self-cleaning oven to the test or do it yourself to have a nice and shiny cooking surface.
- Dust picture frames. Use a microfiber cloth and remove dust and grime from picture frames.
- Grease squeaky doors. Use a lubricant to grease squeaky doors, so they work correctly.
- Update paint throughout the home to bring in a fresh look.
- When time permits, reorganise areas that you use most often such as your dresser drawers or kitchen cabinets.
- Replace/wash shower liner. Give yourself a fresh one with a replacement or freshly washed liner.
- Wash those windows. See your reflection by washing windows when they become too dirty.
- Replace any broken items. From towel racks to curtain rods, replace any broken items in the home by making a list and checking off items one by one.
- Washing curtains. Be sure to wash curtains from time to time, removing dust and dirt.
- Clean knickknacks. Take time to clean these items with a cloth and wiping down shelving.
- Light bulbs. Replace any missing light bulbs and be surprised at how bright your home becomes.
- Restock cleaning supplies. Be sure to keep your cleaning supplies fully stocked so that you have what you need when its time to clean.
These tips will help you maintain your home and save time when cleaning. When it comes to big jobs, like remodelling your bathroom, it’s best to call in the experts. The professionals at All Canadian Renovations Ltd. Can help you with all types of home renovation – contact us today to discuss your next project!